The Shandong Province is full of history, adventure and modern-day excitement. Located in the eastern part of China, this province extends south to the Yellow River. It also overlooks the Korean Peninsula and the vast Japan Archipelago across the sea. This area is home to more than 90 million people and encompasses 60,235 square miles.
Shandong has a history that dates back more than 5,000 years. It has a unique historical significance to China because it is considered one of the birthplaces for their civilization.
Here are some fantastic sites you must see when visiting this region.
- The clay pots discovered in Dawenkou contain inscriptions that are believed to be the earliest written language in China.
- The ruins of Longshan City are considered the earliest markers for what is the oldest city in the country.
- The portions of the Great Wall of China built during the Qi State period are believed to be among the oldest portions of the Great Wall in the country.
- This area is the hometown of Confucius, thus three sites not to miss include the Confucius Temple, Confucius Mansion and the Confucius Cemetery located in Qufu. In 2005, Confucius’s hometown of Qufu finished an important renovation. This ancient philosopher was born more than 2,568 years ago.
- Some of the most scenic areas in this providence are Mount Taishan and Mt. Laoshan. The former and the Temple of the Cemetery of Confucius and the Confucius Mansion are listed as UNESCO Heritage sites.
- Jinan is home to many natural hot springs, which gives it the name “Spring City.”
- This province is the birthplace of China’s silk, pottery and porcelain. Tourists can find traditional items and high-end souvenirs throughout the region.
- Local Jinan and Jiaodong dishes are one of the four major schools of famous food dishes in China. Jinan dishes offer a delicate fragrance and freshness, while Jiaodong dishes include fresh seafood.
- Tsingtao Beer is from Qingdao City. The brewery is China’s second largest and was founded in 1903 by German settlers.
If you are interested in learning more about traveling to Shandong Province in China, visit our website for information.
“Wherever you go, go with all your heart.” ~ Confucius