Before You Go: Facts About China
China is a country unlike any other: slightly larger than the U.S. in terms of land area, it has the highest population of all the countries of the world, at roughly 1.4 billion people and rising. China boasts wide variations in terms of climate and topography–from rivers and valleys to deserts and miles of coastline.
We have included some basic information on this fascinating country to help you better understand the nation you will be visiting. With so much to appreciate in terms of native flora and fauna, and a civilization stretching back millennia, there is so much to learn about China!
See the wonders of China for yourself: China Tour offers incredible tour packages that include English-speaking tour guides and some of the finest accommodations around.
Call us at (888) 878-1777 or just fill out a form to learn more!
Just the Facts
- Official name: The People’s Republic of China
- Chinese name: 中华人民共和国 (zhōng huá rén mín gòng hé guó)
- Capital: Beijing
- International dialing code: +86
- Population: 1.37 billion (2014 figures)
- Area: 9.6 million sq km (3.7 million sq miles)
- Climate: primarily continental monsoon
- Government: National People’s Congress, Single-party state
- President: Xi Jinping (2014)
- Prime Minister: Li Keqiang (2014)
- National flag:
- Anthem: March of the Volunteers (Yì yǒng jūn Jìn xíng qǔ )
- Largest City: Shanghai
- Provinces: 23 provinces, 5 autonomous regions, 4 municipalities, 2 special administrative regions
- Official language: Standard Mandarin Chinese, heavily influenced by Beijing dialect
- Official written language: Vernacular Chinese
- Official script: Simplified Chinese
- Major religions: Buddhism, Christianity, Islam, Taoism
- Life expectancy: 72 years (men), 76 years (women) (UN)
- Currency: Renminbi
- Monetary unit: 1 Renminbi (yuan) (Y) = 10 jiao = 100 fen;
- Time zone: China Standard Time (UTC+8)
- Ethnicity/race: Han Chinese 91.5%, Zhuang, Uygur, Hui, Yi, Tibetan, Miao, Manchu, Mongol, Buyi, Korean, and other nationalities 8.5%
- National Holiday: Anniversary of the Founding of the People’s Republic of China, October 1
- Bank work hour: Bank Mon-Fri 9am-6pm / Weekends 10am-5pm
- Electricity: 220v AC, 50AC. Plugs come in a variety of shapes including flat two pin & flat three pin.
- Photography: There are many photo opportunities in China but be careful of the signs of “No Photo” or “No Flash” in order to protect relics.
- Main Attractions: Great Wall, Forbidden City, Temple of Heaven, Terracotta Warriors and Horses, Yangtze River
There is so much more to know about China, but why read about it when you can experience this amazing culture in person? At Chinatour.com, we call China home, so we work with the most professional tour guides in China and we know exactly how to tailor the best tour packages of China for the optimal trip. Our tour deals are the best around, so take a look at them and book your once in a lifetime trip today!